Saturday, April 1, 2006

baby's first playlist

God I got so much blogging to catch up on. But for the past month things have been hectic and crazy. Thor is almost a month old! Damn!
Tonight Patsy notified me that everyone is planning to continue calling him Thor even though that's only baby's first alias.
So, twice a day, once at noon and once at 9 pm, I go up to the hospital to spend time with Thor. Now we are practicing breastfeeding, but all along we have been doing "kangaroo care", which is this special thing you're supposed to do with preemies where they lie naked on your bare chest under blankets and your clothes. You're encouraged to talk and vocalize normally since it is a sound they are used to from their pre-partum days. So, I hum to him all the time as my vocalizations are almost always melodious. Hell yes. So, here's his playlist and why...
I went on a kick while I was pregnant of listening to Blur's greatest hits for a long time, so from that, we have:
Beetlebum
This is a Low
No Distance Left to Run
I also am known to belt out Neutral Milk Hotel when it's playing, which is totally apt because it's all about fucked up family stuff, so add:
Oh Conley
Two Headed Boy
Then the jazz / show tunes / easy listening standards that are from college or some other part of my vocal repertoire that I sing sometimes and that make for good humming:
Night and Day
Do I Love You
My Funny Valentine
Don't it Make My Brown Eyes Blue
Hopelessly Devoted to You
I Only Have Eyes for You
Someone to Watch Over Me
Misty
There's lots of other stuff I've tried to include, but it really all hit home to me that so much of pop and rock does not make for good humming. Too monotonous! I can't wait to get him home so he knows what the rest of the arrangement sounds like. Wish us luck!
PS: Million Dollar Baby is the worst movie ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment